I loved researching Photorealism. Photorealism started out in America in the 20th century, although it also spread to Europe. Of course photography intrigued artists–How could it not? When they finally had something that was so much a new part of art, they had to relate art to it. And so there came Photorealism. The paintings and sculptors look almost like photos themselves. Those are the paintings where you ask yourself: Is this a painting or a photo? Among the most famous of these artists are Richard Estes (1932), Chuck Close (194o), Audrey Flack (1931), Charles Bell (1935-1995), and Ralph Goings (1928). All Photorealism artists used photographs as their "models" for their work. Although many artists (non-Photorealism artists) also work from photographs, their art doesn't replicate the extreme detail of the photo.
I think paintings/sculptors offer more emotion than photography. I do love photography and I'm also very interested in the usage of the camera, but photography just doesn't evoke the same emotions that paintings do. In Photorealism paintings you can feel like you're right in the middle of the painting. Chuck Close tried to calm down any emotional reaction by taking our focus to the paint rather than the person originally in the photograph. For example, in his painting "Kent"(1971), he painted the pores of his face. It was the same with Richard Este, who painted urban landscapes. Este would make us look beyond what the picture is of and into how the painting was created. Everyone knows how a photograph is created.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment